An introduction to BMC and MEF mountaineering grants.
BMC grant support for expeditions
The BMC has limited funds available to provide grants for international expeditions. Teams applying for this funding must meet the following criteria:
1. Grants will be available only to those climbers on the expedition who are BMC members (individual or via a BMC affiliated club) with BMC insurance cover.
2. Grant support will be focused primarily on younger climbers/mountaineers and those for whom the grant would make a significant difference to the viability of their trip.
3. Expeditions should have significant and innovative ascents as their main objectives
4. The track record of expedition members must show real commitment to climbing/mountaineering, and this should be reflected in their individual climbing standard.
5. Expeditions consisting of younger members for whom the trip would represent a significant personal development will also be considered for funding, irrespective of climbing standard.
6. The BMC also administers the Julie Tullis Memorial Award, a small grant to assist deserving British female mountaineers or any disabled British climbers or mountaineers, both male and female, to achieve their climbing or mountaineering ambitions. Applications for the Julie Tullis Memorial Award can be made via the BMC Expedition Grant form
Further information about the Julie Tullis Memorial Award
7. Expeditions must agree to supply the BMC with a report/article and photographs for use in Summit Magazine and the BMC website, and to contribute to BMC lecture events. The completed BMC application form and relevant additional material should be returned to the BMC International Committee Secretary, Nick Colton (email@example.com). Closing dates are the 1st November (for expeditions taking place before March the following year) or 1st March (for expeditions planned for the rest of that year).
Download the application form here
BMC approved status and the MEF
Expeditions that do not meet the above criteria but still wish to apply for BMC Approved status can do so by completing the MEF application form at the same time as they apply to the MEF for a grant. This is because the initial BMC assessment for BMC Approved status takes place as part of the MEF screening process.
MEF application forms are available from the MEF Honorary Secretary or the MEF website (see below) and must be submitted in the year prior to the expedition for either of the two MEF screening sessions, the closing dates for receipt of these forms by the MEF are 30th September and 31st January.
The BMC understands, however, that it may not always be possible for expedition leaders to meet the MEF deadlines and so the BMC will accept applications for BMC grants, and also from expeditions seeking BMC Approved status, up till 1st November or 1st March for consideration at the BMC International Committee meetings held later in those months.
Expedition leaders are expected to submit a thorough and complete application, which should clearly state all forms of anticipated income. Once an expedition has been successfully considered, a grant award and/or approval will be offered.
In countries where peak permits are required, grants will not be released until the expedition receives such permission. Any changes to the original application should be brought to our attention as soon as possible and if, for whatever reason, the expedition does not take place, the grant must be returned in full.
Lastly, grants are not available for commercial expeditions and should not be used in situations involving fee-paying clients. Expeditions or individuals who fail to observe the conditions attached to a grant may find themselves deemed ineligible for further support.
MEF application forms are available from the MEF website below.
or write to:
MEF Hon Secretary
73 Church Street
Other available grants
View a list of other available grants