The International Federation of Sport Climbing (IFSC) just announced in a press release that it has decided to postpone all competitions scheduled to take place during the months of March and April, and to postpone the World Cup in Seoul, Korea, in May. Currently, the World Cup in Munich, Germany, is still scheduled to take place in May. The full press release is below:
The IFSC, together with the IFSC Continental Councils and in agreement with the National Federations and the Local Organising Committees of the competitions affected by the outbreak of the COVID-19 coronavirus, took some strategic decisions concerning the calendar of the upcoming months.
Specifically, it has been decided to:
1. Postpone the IFSC European Championships in Moscow (RUS), initially scheduled to take place from March 20 to 27; the competition is now scheduled from June 15 to 22
2. Postpone the IFSC World Cup in Meiringen (SUI), initially scheduled to take place from April 3 to 4, and the IFSC World Cup in Seoul (KOR), initially scheduled to take place from May 8 to 10; both competitions will likely be held between September and October
3. Postpone the circuit of IFSC Europe cups and IFSC Europe youth cups that were scheduled to take place in April and May; the IFSC Europe Sport Department is working closely with each event organiser in order to establish a new calendar for the competitions affected by this issue
These decisions add up to the ones that were taken in the previous weeks:
1. To postpone the two IFSC World Cup competitions initially scheduled to take place in Wujiang (CHN) and Chongqing (CHN) in April
2. To postpone and relocate the IFSC Asian Championships initially scheduled to take place in Chongqing (CHN) from April 25 to May 3
Any further development will be communicated in due time.
More FAQs about the BMC and Covid-19
🌳 Can I climbing / hillwalking? Here's what you can and can't do in the 2nd English Lockdown (November 2020)
🌳 What's the situation in Wales? Read the full November update here
😷 When and how will the walls reopen? In England they're now closed for the November Lockdown. Read our November Walls article
✈️ Can I now travel abroad again? Get the latest answers to going abroad with travel restrictions now easing
🛒 Is the BMC shop open? Yes - we officially reopened at the start of July!
🏡 Do you have any advice for clubs and huts? The latest club huts update and all you need to know
📜 Will the BMC keep running smoothly? Read more or watch our weekly live updates from our CEO
🚗 What have the BMC access team been doing during this time? Read on
As the climbing walls, crags and mountains start to open, we wanted to say thanks to every BMC member who supported us through the Coronavirus crisis.
From weekly Facebook Lives and GB Climbing home training videos, to our access team working to re-open the crags and fight for your mountain access, we couldn’t have made it without you.
If you liked what we did, then tell your friends about us: www.thebmc.co.uk/join
This article has been read
Click on the tags to explore more