There was a time when the BMC received money from UKSport to help support mountaineering expeditions. However, in recent years all this money has been cut so that UKSport can concentrate their funding on the 2012 Olympics.
This has made it very difficult for those BMC members needing support for expeditions.
To meet this need the BMC has created a new support system aimed primarily at those BMC members for whom a grant would make a significant difference to the viability of their trip.
It is important to note that the BMC has limited funds available to provide grants for international expeditions. So teams applying for this funding must meet the following criteria:
1. Grants will be available only to those climbers on the expedition who are BMC members (individual or via a BMC affiliated club) with BMC insurance cover.
2. Grant support will be focused primarily on younger climbers/mountaineers and those for whom the grant would make a significant difference to the viability of their trip.
3. Expeditions should have significant and innovative ascents as their main objectives
4. The track record of expedition members must show real commitment to climbing/mountaineering, and this should be reflected in their individual climbing standard.
5. Expeditions consisting of younger members for whom the trip would represent a significant personal development will also be considered for funding, irrespective of climbing standard.
6. Expeditions must agree to supply the BMC with a report/article and photographs for use in Summit Magazine and the BMC website, and to contribute to BMC lecture events. The completed BMC application form and relevant additional material should be returned to the BMC International Committee Secretary, Nick Colton (firstname.lastname@example.org). Closing dates are the 1st November (for expeditions taking place before March the following year) or 1st March (for expeditions planned for the rest of that year).
More information and download an application here
BMC Approved status
Expeditions that do not meet the above criteria but still wish to apply for BMC Approved status, as this can be very helpful when applying for permits and visas, can do so by completing the MEF application form at the same time as they apply to the MEF for a grant. For more information on how to do this please click here.
This article has been read
Click on the tags to explore more